Monday, April 14, 2014

Feisty 'n Free Fried (Rice) Quinoa

Picture
Oh my goodness, this Fried (Rice) Quinoa is out of this world!  I never thought to make such a thing except I came across a recipe from another site.  As usual, I did not stick to the original recipe, but used it as a guideline and came up with my own creation to suit my preferences. 

Here's my recipe:

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups of uncooked quinoa (any color variety)
1 cup frozen green peas 
1 cup fresh broccoli
1 cup fresh snow peas (if available)
1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper (chopped)
2 carrots (chopped, sliced, or shredded)
4-6 scallions (chopped and quantity depends on preference)
2 Tablespoons sesame oil (to stir fry veggies)

3 eggs
2 teaspoons sesame oil (to cook eggs)
Sea salt

4-6 Tablespoons Tamari sauce (a wheat free soy sauce) (to taste)

INSTRUCTIONS


Cook the quinoa according to instructions.  When I cook quinoa, I add a little salt (for this particular recipe 1 teaspoon) along with 2 teaspoons of olive oil.

While the quinoa cooks…


(I shredded my carrots using a food processor because my husband does not like crunchy carrots and shredded carrots soften much faster during sauteing.)

Thaw the peas with warm water.  

Lightly steam the broccoli if you prefer it to be more tender in the finished product.  Otherwise, you can stir fry it along with the peas, peppers, carrots, and snow peas.

Warm 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in a pan; add the thawed peas, red pepper, and carrots and sauté them on medium heat for 5 minutes.  Add the scallions towards the end of the sauteing time.

In a separate pan, warm 2 teaspoons of sesame oil and scramble the eggs on medium heat.  Lightly salt the eggs.  Add the eggs to the already sautéed vegetables.

When the quinoa has finished cooking and cooled…

Add quinoa to the vegetable/egg mixture.  Sprinkle the Tamari sauce over everything and mix in.  Taste and check if the salt content is to your preference.  Do not add any salt until you are completely done adding Tamari sauce.

Enjoy!  It is delicious and so good for you!


© 2013 MaryAnn Broussard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Please note, all spam will be promptly deleted.